Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Class Changes - Observations & Communication

Thanks to all our students and families for all the feedback on some of the changes we have made to our classes and teaching. I feel so grateful because I love helping and teaching. 

I am so excited our students and parents have been adding to classes in ways I'm sure I would not have thought of in a million years. I'm thrilled to start sharing some of the ideas I have been using in classes lately.

First off is something Sensei Bryan shared with me at least two years ago. At that time I felt confused about how it could possibly work or how to use it in classes. It is not the whole teaching that we are using in classes now. Used separately it will likely be less helpful than the whole sequence of ideas. I'm planning on presenting most of what we are doing over the next year.

Here are some examples to give you a clue.

1. I see five pieces of clothes on the floor of your room.

2. What a mess.

3. I heard you raise the volume of your voice.

4. Stop yelling.

5. I see you spelled 7 out of 8 of your spelling words the same way I and your teacher do. Number six is spelled differently than I was taught. (I'm interested, would you tell me how you came up with that way of spelling that word?) I added this additional sentence to highlight how this may produce a different result.

6. Great Job.

7. I completed ten more push ups this week than last week.

8. I'm getting so strong. Or Everyone still can do so much more than me. I'm never going to get in shape.

9. The clock in your room says it is 8:45 AM and the bus has never come later 9:05 AM.

10. You're going to be late again to school. What in the world are doing in bed. Get up.

Here is your last hint. "Just the facts ma'am."

My guess is you have figured out the first step. Make observations much like a scientist.
I find this very helpful in drawing the other person attention to what I would like them to think
about.

Give it a try and let me know your feedback. I am interested to hear if you are by surprised by its effectiveness.

Gratefully,
Sensei

PS Watch out for words like short and long. They are really assessments and not observations in the scientific sense. Try using shorter or longer instead. Example: Bill is shorter that Jim and taller than Paul. Instead of Bill is short.

No comments: